Sunday, June 28, 2009

Camping: Episode 1 - Padre Island, TX

School is out! Time for a little traveling. In my brain vacation always equals B-E-A-C-H. I use to say the only thing I missed about Atlanta was being within a three hour drive to the Ocean. The closest thing to the ocean in Colorado was an eight hour trek to the Great Salt Lake. There really is no comparison in my book.

Jamie knows just how much I love the beach, so we planned a camping trip to Padre Island/Mustang Island just south of Corpus Christi, TX. As a child I travelled to the Gulf Coast many times,but never this side of the Gulf. We would always visit St. Pete/Clearwater or Tampa. I don't remember the wind being so constant and abusive.

I digress, we had a lot of fun on what I hope will be many camping trips. We visited Padre Island National Seashores and saw man-of-war (look, don't touch). We built sand castles and flew kites on the beach. Jamie and I even helped Emma with her Jr. Ranger activities at the National Seashore.

The only problem with blogging about the trip is having to chose which pictures to tell the story. I uploaded some on the slideshow, but this is a good representation of our trip:

Getting Ready

National Seashores

Chillin' at the campsite

New Jr. Ranger

Drying in the Wind

No comments: